Re: Yet more animism questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:02:06 -0000

Apparently my previous reply to this got lost...

> The way I look at this is that the shaman and anything else with a
physical
> body in the middle world, is effectively a little island of the
middle world
> wandering in the spirit world. Although the spirit is back in the
spirit
> world, it is inside another world, and so is still bound by that
other
> world's laws.

This opens another question: is the shaman's fetch embodied within her? Or does it have a (visible) separate existance when in the spirit world? It's obviously a separate being/force/whatever, as it can, for example, negate multiple attacker penalties in spirit combat. (And I wonder what counts as spirit combat while in the Spirit World...?) It now travels with the shaman into the spirit world, unlike some versions of RQ fetches, but is not just an awakened part of the shaman, by the look of it.

> Having said that, the boundary is now thinner, so they may appear
more like
> themselves - Roderick's comment about eyes is one I will be nicking
in the
> future.

Yes, that was just what I was thinking about. I'd say the nearer complete a spirit is, the more individual it gets, a skill spirit is just a vague suggestion of it's nature, an earth spirit is clearly visible, but amorphous, a bear spirit is clearly bear-like.

> They also are more powerful in their world, so there should be some
> (GM specified) chance of a spirit breaking loose - especially if a
shaman
> actually attempts to use it. Magic should never be a guarantee, and
animism
> should be more risky than most, in my opinion.

Well, depends what you mean by more powerful. They don't get the Alien World modifier (as recently discussed here), but the call of home would, I agree, be stronger. However, spirits bound by agreement rather than force would be less of a problem.

Incidently, this surge of interest was prompted by my Spirit Talker, on Saturday, stopping a Broo shaman pulling any more disease spirits through his shamanic circle to set on us, by rushing at him, breaking his circle, and so locking us both in the Spirit World. Unwise, possibly insane, potentially heroic, but definitely in character :)

Wulf