Affinities and Feats - my view

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:50:58 -0800

Okay, this is partly Roderick-as-Rules-Wallah and partly my own opinion.

Personally I think that most people look too hard at Feats and not hard enough at Affinities. What I mean is that there is a lot of jabber about what a certain feat does, or allows, etc. Instead, I think people ought to look at what the *general* magic of a diety is.

Orlanth Adventurous has three "types" of magic - Wind, Movement and Combat. Think of what those magics can do individually and together. What sorts of things can "Wind" do? What types of "Movement" are there? What would a god of wind have in the way of Combat tricks? Work with the basic magic, don't be strait-jacketed by the four or so feats listed - they are simply meant to stir your imaginative juices. Initiates don't have the benefit of really using feats, so half the player heroes out there are simply using the Affinity-with-improv-penalty anyway.

This is one of the reasons that I oppose specifying what a particular feat *does* - it is just a name. Does the intended effect seem reasonable within the general nature of the affinity? Yes? Then good, I'll allow you to do it. I may assign a penalty to it (Improv or D, depending on the nature of what you ask for), but I won't say "you can't do that with this feat".

Once you, the players, have decided what a particular feat does you can cement it in your group or leave it loose, as you please. If another group has a different interpretation of what "Flickering Blade" does, then they are obviously just following a different version of the myth, or using the wrong name for the feat that you know as "Yavor's Lightning Spear".

RR