Re: High cost of Sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:16:24 +1300

At 19:11 5/01/01 +0000, you wrote:

>Does anyone else find the Hero Point cost for gaining and improving
>sorcerous magic to be excessive? I realize that sorcery has some
>advantages over the other kinds of magic in terms of duration and
>range, but this is offset somewhat by its being less flexible.

There is also the advantage that any sorcerer can learn a grimoire which is not the case for other magics (paths, traditions, affinities).

Also spells stolen from other orders may be purchased on their own for 2 hero points.

>The
>cost for missapplied worship is particularly large, even relative to
>other forms of missapplied worship. For example, it costs a whopping
>15 HP to gain or improve a grimoire from St. Aeolus!

It doesn't seem to anymore. Those abilities are calculated on the basis of St Aeolus being Orlanth Thunderous in Disguise. Yet Worlath is described as a separate Divine Saint in the Aeolian writeup. I don't think the Bishop Saints are misapplied and the orders of Worlath, Ehilm, Taurox and others are low orders (with the magic in their grimoires being blessings and curses).

>My own feeling
>is that the cost for gaining of improving a Grimoire should be
>reduced to 3 HP, making it equal to the costs for affinities and
>spirit traditon knowledge.

But if you make the cost equal to an affinity, then the initiates are going to luck out as they have to improvise their feats while the sorcerers have no such penalty.

--Peter Metcalfe