Re: Languages

From: jeff.kyer_at_...
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:39:21 -0000

The phrase is 'literary conceit'=)

> But for those occasions when you want to comprehend or converse with
> an enemy who does not speak your language, how would you go about it
> in HW?

You can learn 'speak language' as an ability.

> I assume that everyone has "Speak own language" at 6 (since that is
> the default for anything not written down...), but never needs to
roll

No. Its specifically stated that one _never_ needs an ability in one's own language. It is similarly foolish to having to have a 'walk' ability.

> it to hold every day conversations. Your score in a foreign
language
> will be higher, but you will have to roll it more often, since you
may
> make mistakes.

You use your speak ability against a resistance based on how complex an idea you are trying to convey.

"My ransom is 5 cows" is pretty easy for example.

There is a small note about foreign languages in the HW:RPiG rules.

Jeff