Re: Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:39:22 -0800

> Possibly I'm getting something fundamentally wrong. Let me give an
> example of how I see things working.
> I have a Sword with Rank 4 (it's a good one), and Armour & Shield Rank
> 3. I augment my sword with Flickering Blade for an edge of +4.
> My opponent has a Maul of Rank 5, and Armour of Rank 4 (Troll, thick
> skin). He augments his armour with Shield Of Darkness (or whatever) to
> give an extra +6 edge.
> I figure that means I have an offensive 'edge' (or whatever) of ^8, he
> has a defensive 'edge' of ^10. Therefore the net Edge is ^-2 when I
> hit him. No edge, Edge or augment affects the AP loss if I fail.
>
> Is this correct? If NOT, how can I apply any AP-affecting augmentation

This is Correct (we really didn't need to know your Armor or his Weapon rank for this example, but when *he* hits *you*, he's got a ^2 on his maul). All the calculations for Armor & weapon rank, magic, other augmentations, etc should be done before the AP is multiplied for level of victory. Hopefully you & your narrator have noted your *total* edge before bidding, rather than stopping the fight to calculate.

How *not* to do it: "The troll succeeded, and you failed, so let's tally up the AP. Let's see, he's got a ^5 maul, plus ^4 for magic is ^9, plus his bid of 5 is, uh, 14, oh wait, what's your armor? 3, okay the base AP bid is 11. Oh, and you have magic going? how much? 3? okay that's a total edge of 6, subtracted from his edge is... 3, so the bid is 8, times two for his success vrs your failure is 16."

> in defence? Maybe a better definition of the word 'edge' as used in
> the rules? What SHOULD the column marked 'Edge' be on the table, p143?

An edge is some circumstance that ensures a better outcome *assuming you succeed in your task* (ie, win the exchange). The easiest example is to equate an edge in Close Combat to the Damage caused by the blow. It *isn't* damage necessarily, it may mean that you've driven your opponent back against the wall, or trapped his blade, or maneuvered him so the sun is in his eyes, or any of a million things that AP loss can mean.

A handicap is something that makes your effort that much less. A Bonus is something that makes it easier for you to perform the task in the first place.

> >So, just to give you a complete possibility list of edges...
> >Joe has a ^3. Joe attacks and bids 5. Joe's die roll is listed first,
then
> >Jim's. It doesn't matter what Jim's edge (or handicap) is, as he is not
the
> >actor.
>
> What if Jim is using Armour of Woad to reduce his AP loss?

Then his AoW edge would be subtracted from Joe's "offensive" edge to yield either an edge, a handicap or a 0 (depending on what edge he got from the AoW) (note that I did not specify what the contest was, but I'll allow that is *is* close combat, just for the sake of the example).

The point I was trying to make was that rather than reduce *all* the edges to one "overall" edge like in the horse race example, you can have two "offensive" edges being compared to "defensive" ones. This is usually seen in Combat, but any situation where you have different abilities being used for "offense" and "defense" can use this (My "insult" vrs. your "thick skined" and your "quiet debate" vrs my "rage at intelligentsia", frex)

> >Weapons vrs armor are a slightly different matter
>
> that's the one!
>
> >Here we have the possibility of both people having edges against each
other
> >(two naked orlanthi with 2-handed swords).
>
> What happened to the armour? You led into exactly my point, then
> changed the example!

Sorry, the D+20 for reading minds, added to the D+100 for Range kinda wiped out my "Read Player's Mind 14" ability. (let's see, that's a resistance of 14w6...)

Armor=0. Both have a +^5 against the other. Wearing armor will ultimately (after comparing armor & weapon ranks, magic, mundane abilities used as edge augments, angle of the sun, force of the breeze, the irregular footing, and anything else you want to throw in) reduce the edge of your opponent, possibly to a handicap.

RR