Re: Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:36:58 +0000

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:39:22 -0800, "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:

>> in defence? Maybe a better definition of the word 'edge' as used in
>> the rules? What SHOULD the column marked 'Edge' be on the table, p143?
>
>An edge is some circumstance that ensures a better outcome *assuming you
>succeed in your task* (ie, win the exchange).

>A handicap is something that makes your effort that much less.
>A Bonus is something that makes it easier for you to perform the task in the
>first place.

OK, so we are entirely in agreement as to how to use the blasted things, all we need is some more specific names for them... calling both the augmentation of a single Ability AND the overall cumulative effect 'edge' is the sole source of confusion here.

So, when the Actor wins, you take the two edges, opponent/defender subtracted from actor/attacker's, and the result is the edge. Edge - Edge = Edge

Wulf