Extended actions and combat

From: Hangnail <hangnail_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:00:13 -0500

Hey,

        First post to the list. I recently got a bunch of the Herowars books as a gift. Have to say I'm impressed with this work. Been a while since the original Runequest.

        I especially like the extended actions and action points mechanics. However I have one question concerning this as it pertains to combat.

        While the action points lends great to melee combat, It seems that missile combat would be hard to describe in such an exchange (unless you were to use the optional grevious wound rules). I actually like that the 'wounded state' of the character is determined at the end of the contest (after any parting shots - another rule I love). However, with missile combat it the mechanic-to-description effect seems to break down more.

        I've yet to play the system but plan on running a game with my group soon. Was wondering if any 'old hands' have any advice for describing the effects of missile weapon combat.

Thanks in advance!