Re: Godking Hero Cult

From: sigaud_at_...
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:10:58 -0000

[Playing in Kethaela in 1616]
> Sounds almost exactly like the thought behind my old campaign...

in fact, (if I interpret your address correctly), that was your website and your articles in Tradetalk that gave me this desire.

> > Well, yes. But I don't even know if Belintar is a theist. I guess
it
> > doesn't matter, as long as the PCs worship him like a theist hero.
>
> IMO he should be worshipped like a theist (subcult) deity.

Yes, and you call him a demigod many times (a daredevil demigod I would say, associated with luck and death, like Harrek is a demigod of destruction)
But, as far as I know, he could be a very powerful mystic a la Sheng Seleris or even a source of magic in his own right. Anyway, my players worship him like a deity, so I don't care. One see him as a subcult of Orlanth Allfather, another as a husband of Esrola...

> IMO he is invoked in all sovereignty rites and gains power through
> this.

Yes, that was my opinion also. It's the cas IMG at least.

> > On the French ML, there was a list of rumours about Belintar and I
> > proposed that he was just a sort of big wyter for the whole
country
> > (that was way before TR). That's not so far from the way I see
> him...
>
> In a human shape, rather than an alynx?

Well, they give a human body after each Tournament. That was just a joke, I don't remember if I gave this a 'A(wful)' rating or a 'R(eferee)' rating. Just imagine the power something like this would have : millions of people accept Belintar. But I guess, you cloud say the same thing for every leader with eough power : Harrek and his Wolf Pirates are another exemple of 'closed-circuit worship'...

>I've started a write-up for a Kethaelan hero band (Pharaonic
>Revivalists) consisting of people who want to bring the Pharaoh back.
>There, I meant to use Belintar as a divine resource - or rather his
>numerous minions on the heroplane equivalent of the Holy Country.

I would be delighted to see this, because that's what my players will have to do (or rather, one of the things they may decide to do).

>That's the way to go for Belintar. For the sorcerous citizens of the
>Holy Country I have them use "Belintar's Book" as a grimoire (much
the
>way Ethilrists "History of my Black Horse Troop" has become a
grimoire
>for the Atroxi). Misapplied worship, much like the Aeolians' other
>saints as well.

That is exactly my POV. But check the answer from Peter Metcalfe about God Forgot.

>I tend to regard his relation to
>the trolls as propitiatory theist worship - Argan Argar appears as
>theist deity of the Kitori and a few darkness-friendly Heortling
>tribes or clans.

IMG, Uz have a ritual possibilty (once a year) to kill belintar, when one of them play the part of the OOO in the small heroquests reenacting the creation of the HC.

>For the secret, I'd use his magical bridge which connects the City of
>Wonders with (lots of places)

Yes, that's a good idea. Does that mean that for example Bryan of the Volsaxi knows this secret ? He does open the gates for Harrek... Maybe, as for orlanthi tribal king cults, each of the six leaders of the HC are considered 'de facto' initiates of Belintar.

>Your feats above all stem from the Mastery Rune, and that would
>probably be his affinity to give to worshippers.

Hm... That gives a cult for a being with aspects(Mastery and Luck/Death), subcults, secrets, special daimones... It's beginning to be quite powerful in its own right.

If anyone knows how to do the same with Harrek and other Superheroes, that would be perfect :-) (Jar Eel ?)

(Harrek the Raider (Plunderous ?), Harrek Allfather, Harrek Adventurous :-) )

>Also, he has taken over the bodies and probably knowledge of a long
>series of winners of the Tournaments of the Masters of Luck and
Death.
>I'd be surprised if these did not include sorcerous or animist
heroes.

Yeah, I was also wondering if he possessed Uz bodies from time to time (250 years of leadership, with high rate of aging, must give something like ... 30 bodies ?). IMG the answer is 'yes' : he did possess a few Uz (not much, one or two), but he tends to age far more rapidly in non-human bodies.
Now that I think about it, that may be a human-biased POV. Specism...

>I'm not so sure it's just a hero cult. Living gods / demigods appear
>to be a special case.

Good, another one :-) I'm interested in anything anyone may have to say about demigods cults.

>He was instrumental in ending the
>Closing (setting Dormal on his course). He sent Sartar north to
>organize Dragon Pass.

\heresy mode on
He defeated old gods, unified a disparate country, made a stronger 'empire' from what was a shadow-dominated one, died and lived again, and six (or even seven) seems to be a number he loves... Does that remind you of someone else far north ?
\heresy mode off
(now, that's far from a 'herowars rules' topic)

thanks for everything,

   Philippe