Re: HW basic stuff

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:59:26 +0000

>First, I presume that Theist characters that start the game as Initiates
>can >gain new Affinities from their god's subcults if those subcults are
>part of the >same aspect. For example, Ognar Greytooth is an Initiate of
>Orlanth >Adventurous, of the Destor subcult. Can he pay 3 HP and gain a
>new affinity at >12 from any other OA subcult, such as Vangath? This
>seems to be what the rules >imply. I also presume that Devotees can pay
>either 3 points for a new Affinity >from a subcult within their aspect and
>1 point for a new Feat. I presume that >the standard rule of 1 HP per Feat
>also applies, here, and that a Feat is >gained automatically when the
>Affinity is learned in game, but that the rest of >the Feats have to be
>learned individually, and that trying to use a Feat >without having
>learned it gains an Improv mod.

That seems right. I'd rule that affinities normally give you the time penalties for worship (exceptions for heroquested powers and the like).

I have a counter-question (and possible answer).

Q. If a character takes two magic keywords (e.g., devotee of Kev, initiate of Vela) or two occupations, what are the starting values?

  1. Presumably, the primary keyword is at 17 and the secondary at 13.

>Second, direct initiation to a Great God. HW states that Initiates and

Not sure without checking. I'd probably rule "only during play" myself.

>Third, associate magic. One of the things I always liked about RQ2 and 3
>was >the ability to become an associate priest of an allied deity - for
>example, an >Orlanth priest becoming an associate priest/acolyte of
>Issaries in the RQ2/3 >rules, being able to perform Issaries ceremonies
>and have some access to >resuable Issaries magic. Certain magic was also
>shared with allied deities - >for example, Orlanth lending the Shield
>spell to his Lightbringer allies.

I broadly agree with the sentiment, but it seems a bit rulesy to me. I'd allow stand-alone feats to be acquired from allied temples, shrines etc. during play or in the initial write-up. [Implicit: only associated cults and/or those you have helped will allow access to their magics]

>My feeling is that I'd limit associate magic to a max of 10W for Initiates
>and >10W2 for Devotees.

I'd just use the standard initiate cap myself. Note that some associated magics are held by subcults of Orlanth, so one could argue no additional restriction should apply.

Thom