Many heroes against one big nasty beast

From: sigaud_at_...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:11:03 -0000

Hi,

I had a problem during my sunday session : during play, some of the PCs had to fight a big nasty beast (a wrongly reincarnated dragonewt, hunting and bashing trees on their tula).

And I didn't know how to play by the rules. I just asked the players dice throws, describing the fury of the beast, attacks and retreats and so on, but never using AP, because I didn't know how to do it for this kind of contest. (and after lots of critical success by the PCs and almost killing some, I decided the beast was defeated).

I had the impression, at the time, that the rules would say

 to consider all PCs as a single entity, with a leader (strong fighting ability) and the others lending APs and so on. But during play no one had the impression of any leader : they were surprised to find the beast, and were disorganized, running everywhere, shouting, falling and so one.

Do you think the system could work with APs, players betting some, and the beast trying to fight them all at the same time ? Did I miss something in the rules concerning this (admittedly, I didn't read the contest part for quite some time, and didn't want to do it during play).

Thanks,

  Philippe