Re: Zzaburite magic

From: sigaud_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:18:29 -0000

> That's the basic idea, yes. But it's much cooler than maths, because
> you get to blow things up with fireballs ;)

they have fireball-type wizard in the west ? What for, holy crusade ? I thought they were more 'sword enhancer, building benediction, easy transport' ...

> > It fits well with this magic being a kind of proto-science.
>
> Well, if zzaburites aren't religious, the scientific approach
> seems appropriate.

I've read many times (maybe even on the Herowars ML) that indeed what they are doing in the west is vaguely related to science.

And anyway, we have Leonardo and other guys in God Forgot.

> Whenever they can breach the adept plane barrier. I suppose
modifiers
> could be used for especially easy / difficult spells. Even at two
> masteries, you'll need good augmenting skills and a HP to spend,
> plus some luck.

Well, IIRC, a good pentagram (or whatever) is a +10/20 bonus, a good university/order is another bonus. Then of course you wait for the right day (when the Fire Rune cycle is at its highest point in the week shall you attempt to learn the secrets of the Fiery Conflagration), so that's another +5/10. Plus augment from your own abilities (+5 ?). Makes that a +30... OK, to cross 10W3, you still need 1W2 in your grimoire ability. And I agree, even less if you use HP (but that makes your spell even more expensive).

By the way, IMG, the sorcerer developped a whole calendar for his order, based on body parts as they are healers/surgeons. Sea Season = Blood Cycle, Earth is Bones, and so on (and the same for day of the week). I give bonuses whenever he attempts something in agreement whith the magical orientation of the day.

[Spells Variation]
> For something like this, breaching the adept plane barrier could
> be ignored. It's more like tweaking the spell, not creating
something
> completely new. Narrator's call, I'd say.

Well yes. I'd still make it difficult (10W2), but no need of a magical ceremony or a diagramm.

> I wouldn't decrease the cost. If reading Brithini grimoires is
> dangerous in this manner, it doesn't mean it's any easier. If the
> studen't isn't used to the Brithini way of thought, it might well
> be harder! In addition to giving you the Rigid-flaw at 12, that is.
> And whenever you increase your read grimoire-ability, your flaw
> increases as well. For example.

Indeed, good point.

> I don't think creating new spells is all that common. Edges seemed
> like a nice way to represent material components like alchemic
> liquids etc.

I think you method can be extended outside magic strictly speaking. Alchemy (which they study in the west I think), can function by the very same rules. A grimoire, representing a theme, and recipes, to be learnt like spells.

The Secrets of Powders, the Unholy Grimoire of Mind-Changing Philters...

> However, giving a straight bonus would on second thought be better.
> And on second thought, a simple contest should definately be used,
> not an extended one. Many people seem to have trouble envisioning
> AP exchanges in normal swordfights, but describing a scientific
> research contest would be far too difficult to be fun.

And there is always the problem of having only one player doing something while the others are waiting...

Philippe