Re: Dual Magic Keywords

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:55:17 -0500

Stephen Royle asks:
>I recently asked about a second keyword, what about a second magical
>keyword?
>A character in my campaign Heldamar Blue Face is a devotee of Helamakt
>Adventurous (HA) and Vanganth Thunderous (VT). By the way don't ask
>why he chose these concotions, it's a long story and you have to know
>the player :-)

        You can't be devoted to two deities. There just isn't enough time in a day (besides being devoted to two gods is like trying to serve the two masters of the adage). Now, you could have a starting character who was a devotee/initiate (Keywords start at 17), but it's going to eat up a lot of their time (70-80%), so the player really ought to be able to explain how the character eats.

>Now he gets Combat, Movement affinities and two storm feats from HA
>which I said were at 17.
>From VT he gets Flight and Wind affinities and a movement feat which I
>said were at 13.
>But what happens to the feats, do they go into the corresponding
>affinities? If so at what skill level are they?
>If the two HA storm feats go into the VT storm affinity do they drop
>the 13 or does the whole affinity go up to 17.
>Or should I just make both magical keywords 17?

        I don't have TR with me, so this is off the top of my head. The character gets the 3 Affinities (and the associated feats) from their devotional sub cult. From the subcult they are initiated to, they get the three affinities (no feats). Now I get a little shaky; no doubt someone will correct me if I err.

        Any "stand alone feats" not connected to an affinity are lost. This is a penalty for mixing and matching aspects and subcults -- the mythic powers don't line up in a usable way. Alternately, you can let them have the feats if they are a devotee to that subcult, but they have to be raised as separate skills. However, if the initiatory subcult and the devotional subcult share an affinity (say Storm), the character would get to use the feats from the initiatory subcult as well (their Storm affinity is at devotional level, so they get feats, no matter their depth of involvement to the subcult).

Peter Larsen