Re: Raven Banner

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:43:32 -0500

Tim Ellis says:

>I know that, It's just that this seems to make it likely he'll die
>early on in the battle rather than later. (depending, I suppose on
>how many rounds of rolls the battle takes...)

        Nothing in the description of the banner says that you'll die at the end of the battle, or even from enemy activity. "We won, but poor Harald got an arrow in the eye during the first volley." "Weird, how Harald fell off that cliff...." Maybe if the standard bearer fights like a maniac and survives, he or she will just keel over. Or fall off a horse and break something vital. Or perish from a minor wound that never heals (if you prefer a game explaination, the bearer can never regain AP). Or, at the feast that night, there is a knock on the door and a grim and silent warrior enters to escort the champion to Humakt. Or the tula's fertility and luck in battle is blighted until the bearer dies -- the Ring has to do something about it. You'll notice that none of these situations (except that AP bit) require rules (at least not for the dying part of the deal).

Peter Larsen