Re: HPs and normal abilities house rule.

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:54:04 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Graham Robinson wrote:

> I suggest you wait a bit longer before restricting HP usage. If players
> are going to start throwing HPs around like confetti everytime things

Maybe you are right. I think that since the rules are so forgiving that many losing a contest isn't that big of a deal anyway.

> > mosterous augments that you can get using a HP to get a major victory.
> > (How about an almost surefire ^20 edge for the entire fyrd with Starkval
> > secret, 15W affinity and a heropoint. You can do even more incredible

> What is Starkval's secret? I'm at work so I don't have any books to look
> up, but unless it doubles the edge automatically AND affects the entire
> fyrd this seems unlikely. A rough calculation gives only a slightly better

Starkval's secret let's him ingnore multiple target's penalties on the fyrd. Drogarsi has a similar secret. IMO it is more suitable for target number augments. Heropoint bumps your success to critical so failure is enough for the difficulty dice? and if you fail, then fumble is enough for major victory, which earns you 2x augment. So the secret only makes the effect available for a whole bunch of people. OA devotee with some woad ritual and a HP can have a pretty scary armor.

5W difficulty for ^10 augment 15W affinity. about 56% chance of 2x augment I think that it's about 3/4 for 20 difficulty and ^16...

I don't have a calculator with me, but those figures are fairly accurate.

I wouldn't underestimate target number augments either, but fyrd having a lot tougher armor(or something) than a true dragon, is more awesome.

Olli Kantola