Re: mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 15:24:02 +1200

At 14:32 4/05/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Shot in the dark here. I note the basic rules for mysticism cite:
>one physical discipline
>one mental discipline
>one virtue

>Would it be reasonable to read this as the "basic rules" and to
>speculate that future products might expand the number of disciplines
>in a given dojo beyond 3?

What exactly do you intend the extra disciplines for? Are you trying to expand Martial Arts into something flashy for example?

>I'm not asking for insdier knowledge here,
>just wondering if this falls within the bounds of the plausible.

Greg's written stuff about schools having six disciplines (or indulgences). One could go higher but you should remember that these numbers aren't a measure of what a school's masters is capable of but how the school believes the cosmos devolved or how many steps are necessary to enlightenment.

Three is standard amongst Vithelans because they believe the Cosmos to have devolved three ways (which can be related to the three otherworlds). The Kralori might believe in six because of their belief that the Cosmic Dragon became the Six Ancestral Dragons. The Lunars might believe in seven because their goddess took seven steps (one of those is hidden however and thus they might just learn six).

With suitable myths, one could go as high as ten steps (this last involves an obscure Dara Happan myth). I do believe the schools with more steps/indulgences/disciplines have different types of steps than the standard three in the HW rulebook.

--Peter Metcalfe