Re: Increasing devotion

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:07:56 -0500

Benedict Adamson asks:

>Is Devotee of X relevant to an episode in which the devotee used an
>affinity? Or one of the god's virtues? Or should players just pay the
>double cost? In what circumstances might a hero use their Devotee of
>X ability?

        Considering that devotees spend 60% of their waking hours attending to religious duties (although, as has often been pointed out, sharpening swords, running markets, cataloging, leading the clan, guard duty, and virtually anything can be a religious observance for the right devotee), I would imagine that Devotee (God) is always relevant. To extend this, I would imagine that, assuming a character is acting within their culture and profession most of the time (e.g. in a stead-based campaign), virtually all keyword abilities should be considered relevant for most experience spending. This might encourage people to spend points on non "adventuring skills" like "Herd Sheep" or "Yell for Kids." Obviously, once your characters get outlawed and have to go join the Hidden Gale, they are going to have to be pretty creative to justify the relevance of "Plow Field," but you might count skills like "Hunting," "Hide in Forest," and "Animal Calls as Code" skills to be constantly relevant whether or not the characters used them that session.

Peter Larsen