Re: Re: Just a quick question

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:31:07 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Benedict Adamson wrote:

> Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> > It could be though. Parhaps any level of victory with the dragonslaying
> > sword would end up with a dead dragon. At least, that's how I'd use the
> > slay undead feat.
> >
> > Or if that's too drastic, then at least up the success level by one, so
> > that dazed becomes hurt, hurt becomes wounded and so on...
>
> Too drastic, I'd say.
> Otherwise everyone would choose to have 'Sword of Death' as a magic
> item, with the kind of problems that Jarec has in mind.

They would? A character of mine has had a "Sword of Death" in a different world, and it really didn't bring him happiness. Among the Heortlings for whom violence usually doesn't mean killing, such a weapon would be no blessing.

Anyway, the the player (and the character description) will have to have a good reason for a man- or a dragonslaying sword. Not something many characters would have, or even want.

> The principle that the name you give an ability does not determine
> its power is an important one, I believe. You are suggesting that the
> name of an ability should make a difference in the victory level.

Just a tought. One way to deal with the classical "slaying" weapons.

I'd just be ruthless as the narrator. Both keep such items rare and terrible, and play to the hilt the bad reputation you get from leaving a stream of bodies behind you.

But parhaps it doesn't work that well if the players are free to write whatever they want into their 100 words with no narrator veto at all.

        -Adept