Re: Just a quick question

From: Jarec <jarec_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:11:17 -0000

> Anyway, the the player (and the character description) will have to
have
> a good reason for a man- or a dragonslaying sword. Not something
many
> characters would have, or even want.

Exactly! If the description is good enough I would allow it. What I wouldn't allow is a character whose narrative says something like

'Whilst adventuring in Ralios Burt found the sword of death, the wand of resurection and the gloves of ultimate strength'

this is gross abuse of character generation at any level, even if ultimately the items are cack.

By the same token if the players quest for a magic sword and fail why should they just be able to spend 2HP and get one anyway. Where is the motivation next time I run a sword quest adventure? Not to say that I run such things - before my players ask!!

> I'd just be ruthless as the narrator. Both keep such items rare and
> terrible, and play to the hilt the bad reputation you get from
leaving a
> stream of bodies behind you.

How can you if they can be bought with HP?

> But parhaps it doesn't work that well if the players are free to
write
> whatever they want into their 100 words with no narrator veto at
all.

Narrator veto is a must. If you feel that proliferation is not in keeping then the fact that the rules allow it or not is irrelevant. If you do not feel that you are in at least some control of your games style and direction then you won't enjoy it and neither will your players (eventually).

Jarec