Re: Re: Just a quick question

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:35:13 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Jarec wrote:

> > Anyway, the the player (and the character description) will have to
> have
> > a good reason for a man- or a dragonslaying sword. Not something
> many
> > characters would have, or even want.
> >

> Exactly! If the description is good enough I would allow it. What I
> wouldn't allow is a character whose narrative says something like

Yup. But then again. There's a gradient of "freedom allowed by the narrator" working here, or in other words, how much of what happens in the gameworld is dedided by the player.

I don't run my games so that the players would just decide to have found a magic item between episodes.

<snip>
> > I'd just be ruthless as the narrator. Both keep such items rare and
> > terrible, and play to the hilt the bad reputation you get from
> > leaving a stream of bodies behind you.
>
> How can you if they can be bought with HP?

I'd just say they can't. It seems very silly to me.

> > But parhaps it doesn't work that well if the players are free to
> > write whatever they want into their 100 words with no narrator veto
> > at all.
> >
> Narrator veto is a must. If you feel that proliferation is not in
> keeping then the fact that the rules allow it or not is irrelevant.
> If you do not feel that you are in at least some control of your
> games style and direction then you won't enjoy it and neither will
> your players (eventually).
>
> Jarec

I agree.

That's also why I don't see a problem with occasional item that changes the results table (the slaying weapon that kills at any level of defeat, for instace)

Such things just won't be written up by any player. They would be rare, powerful and undoubtedly infamous artefacts. If you wan't it, then quest for it, and parhaps you will succeed. 2HP just won't cut it.

        -Adept