RE: Re: Items as followers [Was: Just a quick question ]

From: Weihe, David <weihe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:43:59 -0400

Bruce Ferrie:
> On Friday, June 08, 2001 5:20 PM, Weihe, David
> > And what if
> > the Dread Sword Of Unending Death that you have found is
> > really a Gods Age funeral-only sword, the equivalent of the
> > guitars that Pete Townsend buys specifically to smash at
> > the climax of Who concerts and are otherwise worthless (as
> > musical instruments, at least)?
>
> By the time a player spends his HPs on it, it *is* a useful
> item of some sort.
> Unless it's been bought as a Flaw, of course. :) And we all
> know that any Flaw
> can sometimes work for you instead of against you.

Actually, those Funeral Swords *might well* keep you dead, despite the best efforts of Delecti, et al. It's just that they are certainly worthless in combat (like a greatsword made of pot metal rather than iron), and not much use for a PC either, except for giving it away.

> > Will the player accept that
> > his character has bought with his time, blood, and sweat
> > (all those HPs that might be spent) a piece of garbage without
> > letting the character catch on, and stop spending those
> > HP in the hope of getting *something* out of it?
>
> This isn't something I'm fond of doing in any game, HW or
> otherwise. Letting players sink a lot of HP into something
> and then find out they've all been a waste is not nice to
> them.

Perhaps, but one of the Hero Wars books reminds us that just because it is in a magical world like Glorantha doesn't mean that it isn't worthless junk. What do you think that Lhankhor Mhy is for, just reciting the Law? ;-)

Ok, maybe I might clue in the PC before he spent 50 HP trying to awaken what is actually just really old junk, but sometimes a glass dagger in your chest that no one can detect shouldn't be there (even if the Player never read any Larry Niven).