More Combat Skill Divisions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:58:59 -0000

Tim writes:

> I can't really see the benefits of dividing the combat skills down
> any further than this ...
>
> Tommy the Trollkin
> Armed Combat 13 (Club, Spear and shield)
> Unarmed Combat 12(Bite)
> Ranged Combat 14 (Thrown Rock, Sling)
> Group Combat 17 (Trollkin Mob)
> Mounted Combat 8 (Hambeetle Lance)

What about Tommy the Kuschile-trained trollkin skirmisher:

  Mounted Ranged Combat 14 (horse archery)

(OK, he's more likely to use beetle-back slingshots, but that's a bit obscure for present purposes).

>From mediaeval history, I can also see a potential argument for
separating out Group Mounted Combat from Group Combat (e.g. Vikings, dead good at shield walls on foot, happy riding between battles, but utterly unable to coordinate a mounted charge until they turned into Normans). Greg's donkey-mounted Lunar Dragoons would be similar: they are deployed on donkey-back, but fight on foot.

Maybe you'd want Group Ranged Combat as well, for e.g. archers at Agincourt or dwarf musket files (for situations where formation, mass firepower and timing are as important as skill and aim).

It all adds up, doesn't it? :-(

Cheers, Nick