Re: Secret Strikes

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:26:24 -0000

I suspect that our group is the oldest -surviving- group which was built under the regular rules. (Sorry, Wes, you guys got really lucky in the earlier editions)

We've been playing for 20 months now and started with 'off the shelf' characters. We're just getting to the point where the _magicians_ in the group are getting close to learning secrets. The more physical types are a fair way off.

> Even if you _could_ learn the secrets, there's usually not much
advantage in

Having been on the short end of the Yanafal Tarnils secret, I must disagree STRONGLY! He just would NOT die.

> doing so, rules-wise. It's more of a way to show off when
role-playing.
> "Yeah, I know the Secret of Finovan, how about you?"

Okay, some of the secrets _are_ less powerful than others.

> The Mystic Strike ones are especially unsexy, because you're likely
to lose
> the ability before you have a chance to improve it...

Secrets are readily improved, I note. In fact, that's the real advantage of something like the Vangath secret -- its an affinity that costs ONE HP to raise!!!! And it goes up like a narrow ability too.

Jeff