Re: Martial arts

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:51:40 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Andrew Barton wrote:

<snip>
> Playing rough sports seems to have been a strong part of celtic warrior
> culture. Has anyone explored the Orlanthi equivalents?

I like to muck around with the fighting styles of different cultures.

For the Yelmalian Templars (Prax) their unarmed fighting is meant as a last ditch option, when neither the spear or a sidearm is available. They expect to fight in heavy armor, so not much dodging or kicking.

Inspired by the spears they fight with, (IMG) they know some "blade fist/spear fist"* techniques, and try to strike at the throat or other exposed weak and soft spot.

*Making a fist so that it strikes with the "extended knuckles" or just one of them. Having a small striking area is effiscient if you hit a soft target, but can break your hand if you hit something hard.

For the Sartarites, I think they practise wrestling with rather aerial throws (instead of tumbling on the ground all the time), as well as jumping and kicking. The young men compeate in highjumping, and are good at kicking. The older warriors who are carrying around some extra weight will propably just use their fists.

        -Adept