Re: Alkothi

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:15:23 EDT

Alexandre:

<< > I'd say they've still got the same set of runes, and that > the aspects of
> Shargash are sub-cults, while the aspects of Yelm are fully > separate
cults
> (even if the Alkothi only happen to worship one of them).

    Mmh... I was under the impression that the status of a cult (whether it's a sub-cult, an aspect of a major deity or a just cult) would depend on the number of worshippers, while (correct me if I'm wrong) you are saying that it depends on the importance of the god's myths. >>

     That's my understanding. Generally speaking a deity with 'important myths' probably does have a lot of worshippers, though.

<<So Yelm is still the Celestial Pantheon's head because he is the Emperor, and Shargash recognises this?>>

     AFAIK. But I can't be certain of this, not having seen the full Shargash write-up from SGU.

<< > I certainly don't see Shargash as the head of his own pantheon, though.

    But Alkoth is in the underworld, and there is no Yelm, as he is dead,>>

      Yes there is - he's Bijiif. OK, so he's not actually ruling, but he exists, and his worshippers can still fill the same social position vis a vis uninitiated worshippers. Of course, if Peter's right and Shargash *is* a great deity (which would be news to me, but is still entirely possible) then the question is academic, anyway.

<< whereas Shargash is very active. I think that Shargash was the most important celestial deity during the Darkness. Doesn't that make him the most important deity of the pantheon in the place/time where Alkoth is?>>

     It doesn't necessarily mean he's a Great Deity, though. For that he has to have a Great Secret (among other things). He *may* be, but it doesn't necessarily follow.

Trotsky