Re: What Issaries should publish

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:24:49 -0000

Rick Meints wrote:
> In a nutshell, I would like to see a product like Griffin Mountain
> produced for Sartar.

I was tkaing a couple of weeks off posting but I'm intrigued enough to question this.

Imagine I am a small one or two person outfit. I only have the resources to do one supplement the size of Griffin Mountain (say 256 pages) a year. Because the modern marketplace calls a product with one supplement a year unsupported, I decide to produce four 64 page supplements instead. Following the Griffin Mountain model percentages in our reduced page count, your suggested ideal Sartar regional supplement contains (approximately):

16 pages of scenarios. Following GM most would be 1 page in length, with a couple of 3 page big 'specials'.
16 pages of encounters. Most are 0.5 to 1 page in size. 7 pages of settings. From towns to caravans (clans in our case) these are the suggested PC locales, most 1 page in size. 5 pages of resources. Rumors, facts and information available to the players, most relates to the scenarios, some to scenario ideas. 4 pages of leader stats. Most 0.25 pages in length. 3.5 pages of admin, intro and game advice 3 pages of cults.
1 page of cultural information.
1 page describing neighbouring areas, most a short paragraph. 1 page index.

0.75 pages of history of region
0.75 page gazetter of region.
0.5 page region map.
0.5 pages on ' How to read the stats'

I love Griffin Mountain as much as the next fan, but I'm not sure that the above model is the one I would use. I'm all for playing 'My Dream Glorantha product', but publishers are bound by market realites. I am never going to see that 60 volume Sartarite Doomsday book I dream about. I also suspect it is harder than people think to gain consesus.

Ian Cooper