Re: What Issaries should publish

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:34:29 +0000

Rick posts a long and thoughtful message on future Issaries publications. In response, here's my (partial) wish list for the future, including the odd implied criticism of the past. I will say that on the whole I have been impressed with the content offered, and am eager for more...

The Wish List :

Maps. High quality, detailed maps. For everywhere, but especially the places being addressed in the books (currently Sartar). Something along the lines of the famous Lunar map.

Scenarios. Stuff aimed at beginners, and those wanting to play a scenario outside the story arc. Scenarios with more plot than those offered in BA. Getting people to play one offs will lead to people playing campaigns. Some of the scenarios on the web site are a good start.

Every day life, hero bands, wyters, baddies, etc. to be shown through scenarios. Descriptions of how matters work is less efffective than showing it in action. A book of a dozen hero bands is dull, but two books of half a dozen scenarios with a hero band in each is both more interesting and more useful. Again BA is a good start - both Jeff's Cattle Raid and Ian's Blood Feud do exactly this. I may never run either, but the understanding of how these parts of Heortling life work in practice will help my campaign.

Examples. Sample steads, enemies, friends, clans, heroquests, small gods and spirits, etc. Information is there in an 'essay about the culture' format, but I'd like to see more ready to use samples. Again, BA has some of this, but we need a better range of skill levels. I'm also surprised that at the minute we have more examples of Lunar wyters than Heortling ones.

HeroQuesting. Example quests, rules (including fixing some of the current problems), advice on running them, examples of running them, ideas on coping with the essentially solo nature of many quests in a group game.

Ease of use in gaming. To date information has been plentiful, but finding anything during a game can be harder. Even with an index, Thunder Rebels takes a lot of flicking around in to find some of the little tit-bits it contains. The BA format may make this less of a problem, but to date too much has been presented in essays that are not user friendly during actual gaming. I suspect this is Garreth's main problem. Much of the info he wants is there, but hidden amongst other details he is less interested in.

Other cultures. The Heortlings are fine, and we're having fun exploring their culture in our games, but I want others. A series of books covering other cultures, even if they are more introductory in nature (like the Uz book) will help the strength in depth of Glorantha to show. At the minute there is the (potential) problem of not appealing to those who don't want to play barbarians, when the world allows options that may appeal more.

Locations. So far we have yet to see more than a paragraph or so on any town, mountain, river or swamp. Hopefully Orlanth is Dead will contain a detailed description of Whitewall, but there are hundreds of fascinating places - lets see them!

And doubtless others I will think of after I send this...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson