Re: What Issaries should publish

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:13:47 -0000

At the risk of sounding like too much of an apologist for Issaries...

Gods yes - but we do know that's in the pipeline.

> Other cultures. The Heortlings are fine, and we're having fun
exploring
> their culture in our games, but I want others. A series of books
covering
> other cultures, even if they are more introductory in nature (like
the Uz
> book) will help the strength in depth of Glorantha to show. At the
minute
> there is the (potential) problem of not appealing to those who
don't want
> to play barbarians, when the world allows options that may appeal
more.

The manuscript of the first Imperial Lunar Handbook is in and broadly accepted - there are some tweaks Greg is working on, and a few updates necessitated by changes in the rules for 2nd edition, but it's essentially there and we're working on ILH-2 (to detail the solar cultures).

> Locations. So far we have yet to see more than a paragraph or so
on any
> town, mountain, river or swamp. Hopefully Orlanth is Dead will
contain a
> detailed description of Whitewall, but there are hundreds of
fascinating
> places - lets see them!

Well, it won't, but what is there should knock your socks off, and provide a pretty compelling response to all those who asked 'but where are the Hero Wars?' in response to BA.

On the other hand, yes, I agree that this would be nice to see. However, given that Issaries is a small outfit, I think Greg is right to let his products be dynamic and driven by the *story* rather than more passive and just describing a *location.* Yes, I know it's possible to hit both, but ultimately you have to place the emphasis somewhere. One of the things that I did find disappointing about RQ was that it felt richly crafted but static. People and places just were. With HW, location is less important than action, character and story. It is, I agree, a different way of looking at it, but in a way, think of a film. Fun films often are successful in conveying a sense of place without really going into the detail. When you watched 'Gladiator', were you captured by the storming battle scene at the opening, or were you wondering about the social structure from which those barbarian warriors had been drawn?

All that said, there is, of course, scope for other work to complement the official Issaries line, on which I'll post separately.

Mark

Mark Galeotti