Re: What Issaries should publish

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:52:38 -0000

Nothing wrong with nagging! But, I would suggest that Issaries is learning, Just as HW2 will build on HW1, I think we can see quite a shift in the kind of support products they are producing.

> > When you watched 'Gladiator', were you captured by the storming
> > battle scene at the opening, or were you wondering about the
social
> > structure from which those barbarian warriors had been drawn?
>
> after 512 pages of background material solely on heortling culture,
> believes and myths [not even taking into account what's in GIttHW,
> KoS & BA!] you are seriously going to tell me this?
>
> hell yes - I WOULD have liked to get Hero Wars as it as intended by
> its designer in the first place [or at least what I think he
intended
> it to be] - fast & furious, READY-TO-PLAY action gaming full of
myth
> and wonder. just as the battle you've mentioned...
> and best of all - most easy to comprehend for newcomers, systemwise
> AND settingwise.

I don't want to seem either to be putting myself forward as an Issaries spokesman or putting words in Greg's mouth - I'm not the first and not in the position to do the second. All I can say, is that Greg is very keen to make sure that most future books have a substantial pick up & play element. If anything, the ILH series will be the exception to this rule, but otherwise he seems to be thinking than anything from 1.3 to 2/3 of future books should be scenario/action material rather than background, and usually written to illustrate the background (as in most of the BA scenarios).

I must say, when I first read BA, my thought was: 'this is the product that in an ideal world should have been bundled with HW.' In other words, so that rules, and accessible level of initial bakground and intelligent adventure options could have been available from the first.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti