Re: Tula size

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:44:30 -0000

Graham wrote:

> I seem to remember a quote of around 50-75 square miles for a tula.

TR p.29 gives an example of a 15x25 mile tula, which could be c.375 square miles or so. (Or as little as half that, if the measurements related to the longest dimensions, naturally). Significantly bigger than Graham's quote. I suppose the smaller figure, if canonical, might be related to the more settled and worked bits of the Tula, what John Hughes on another list has called the 'harstings' (as opposed to the larger 'tula' of which the harstings are a part).

Now, I *like* the idea that clan tulas don't abut directly on each other -- there's an area of unworked, unspied-on land beyond the fringes of each clan's territory, meaning wyters aren't rubbing shoulders every step of the way from Alone to Whitewall. But given TR p.22 (the tula includes "all of the clan's hunting land," inter alia), that probably isn't possible.

Cheers, Nick