Re: Trade Route of Dragonpass and Sea

From: illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:16:38 -0000

Jorganos the Archer:

Thank you for your good advice:

> Sartar established the trade posts of the Grazelands, providing an
> alternative route. I'd be careful about transporting stuff the
Grazers
> might covet, though, or your trader might end up gifting his
> merchandise to ambitious chieftains.
>
> The Grazers dislike huge armies foraging from their Vendref,
> preferring to do so themselves, therefore there's no great secret
in
> keeping Lunar forces out of the region. In 1605, Euglyptus' great
army
> must have passed through, though.
>

> > (Many Articles about the Route of Lunar Army in
> > Dragonpass Campaign.) What is the condition of trade route
> > in grazeland and Black Horse County?
>
> Probably a strip of low-growth open land up to half a mile wide
with
> wagon tracks mudding up, meandering through obstacles. I.e. like a
> medieval European road where the Romans had not built one earlier.

In King of Sartar, there were some Dragonspine (though it was called Clavandal without any Draconic Meaning, influence of EWF or Dragonkill?)
passes aside from

Dragonpass (Narrow meaning, Southwest of Kero Fin)): Wideway Pass (West of Ginijji)
Dendrogi Pass (South of Ginijji)
Maran Gor Trail (Northeast of Kero Fin)
Belastan Pass (West of Olorost)

if it remained after Dragons of Pass waking and changed their posture during Dragonkill.

> > 2) Sea Sailing Speed: As an academic of professional History,
> > he calculated sailing speed of ancient people boats and ships,
> > but while I referred to Missinglands p94-100, he was really
> > upset by the sailing speed which I think Greg Stafford himself
> > wrote down it for his campaign, (I guess at least past
> > one time Greg finished the Journey of Argrath and Harrek
> > circumnavigating the Homeward Ocean clockwise as in Argrath's
> > Saga.) He said that was "Nintendo-game" like speed even that he
> > can accept it as a deed of greatest heroes of modern 17C
> > Glorantha. He think Glorantha People need a lot of time
> > for sailing approximately ten times more than Greg's writings.
> > (For example, Greg wrote from Jrustela to Seshnela 7 days. But
> > Efendi thinks from Sog City to Northpoint 5 days.....) Certainly
> > Killer Current will take slow Boaters if Efendi thought
> > Gloranthans hold only such poor navigation skills.....
>
> The trans-doom current routes are probably similar to sailing
> a maelstrom or a dangerous narrow (straits of Gibraltar, Messina
and
> the like), requiring optimum wind and current conditions. Perhaps
this
> works a bit like the sailing from Troy into the Black Sea, with
ships
> gathering there to await good conditions.
>
> Sog to Northpoint is coastal sailing, so night sailing might be
> dangerous.
>
> I'm away from my sources right now, but I seem to recall that the
> Vikings crossed from Trondheim in Norway to Iceland in about 23
days.

If I can calculate the distance from Iceland to Trondheim about 1,000km, (I can't change directly it to miles.) Approximately Vikings can sail 43.5 km per a day.

While about Glorantha, Greg wrote the route from Jrustela to Seshnela in 8 days. It seems there is more than 2,500 kilometers in the map of "Gods of Glorantha". So it means Harrek can drive his longship of Wolf Pirates approximately 312.5 kilometers per a day!

While about Efendi's calculation, he thought from Laufol to Northpoint, approximately it takes 40 days per 800 kilometers. I don't know what is his standard reference for this about 20 kilometers per day.

(I haven't kept RuneQuest Box Set shipping Rule or Viking RQ at my hand, I remember some description of the technic of Northmen...)

Perhaps Gloranthan Wind is very strong....more than standard Earth.... Or Gloranthan Sea is too large on the contrary that Gloranthan Land is too small for setting....

Terra Incognita