Re: Hidesl

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:15:24 +1100

Greg:

> My understanding of a hide is that it's equal to the amount of land that a
> single ox tem can plow in the available average time and land quality.
> That is, 40 acres in spring, 40 in fall and 40 fallow.

This definition fits in with Michael's recollection of 120 acres. It's not surprising that with what was originally a qualitative measure of land - The OED defines it as an Anglo-Saxon term denoting the (variable) amount of land required to feed a family for a year, typically between 60 and 120 acres - that variants appear when it later becomes legislated into a fixed area.. This first definition was used in the Domesday Book. One alternative, which I think is reflected in Greg's recollection, is the area able to be cultivated by team of *eight* oxen in a year, which varied between ~60 and ~240 acres. This later figure was used in calculating the Danelaw concessions.

For HW purposes, 120 acres seems the way to go, with the usual GM fiat that, in accordance with historical use, it can be 'as big as it needs to be'.

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

I am the cry of dreams on waking

      the name in the hero challenge
         white bull in valour