Re: Re: Tulas: Confusing Terminologies & A Modest Proposal

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:31:14 +1100

David Dunham questions the need for distinguishing between a stead's holdings and a clan's.

Simply because in my campaigns (and in others), the concept of wilderness is a central theme, and the differences between a stead's tula and a clan's can be of central importance. The idea of the Tresdarnii clan tula encompassing all the eastern wall of Ginijji just doesn't gel. There are times when the scattering and dispersion of steads can make the 'big square box' central planning approach to tulas strain credibility, something more suited to a modern city than a pioneer frontier. In my campaign, I've plotted the history of steads and clans against a representative land use map, and one thing you *don't* get is neatly defined boxes. In such cases, the notion of 'alynx territoriality' raised earlier is very appealing, and the ability to distinguish between a stead's tula and a clan's can simplify rather than complicate.

John