RE: Re: Who's Hills?

From: Sims, Darren <Darren.Sims_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:25:27 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2002-04-05-1325.

janewilliams wrote:
>We also know that the high Quivin peaks are impassable and in fact
>unclimbable by normal means. So they're a bit more vicious than
>anything in the UK, at least in spots.
>
>And we know that it gets seriously cold in winter.
>
>How about the Alps as a model? Never been there myself (plans for the
>summer will change this), but descriptions look good.

I always have a problem with this 'impassable' for mountains. Having skied in the Carpathian, Alps, Pyrenees and Grampian mountain ranges (although ski areas are usually on less pointy parts of the mountains) I can not see how anyone can fail to go through the range. Although weather would play a big factor I imagine especially if storms constantly cling to mountains?

The Alps would make a good model for the Dragonspine and SkyreachMountains (not counting Kero Fin) as anyone whom has seen the way they raise from the flatter land west of them will testify.
The Grampians are good model for the Quivin as I am sure I have seen a map with a pathway or trail going through between the peaks. In Rough Guide to Boldhome?
The Carpathians would double for the Indigo Mountains as they are heavily wooded and they do seem to hold a dark menace even in bright sunshine and have a purple tint to them. They are the scariest place I've been, with wolves howling and bear warnings signs and lots of black crows. The Atlas mountains (I haven't skied there) may make a comparison to the Stormwalk mountains with the plains of Prax to the East of them but I not to sure about that one.
The Himalayas would be the Rockwoods I think as they are meant to be 'impassable' and are hard to cross in the RW but I haven't been there either.
All of this is my humble opinion BTW.

Cheers,
Darran Sims.
Assembly Rooms Duty Manager.
* mailto:Darren.Sims_at_....

''Fiat justitria ruat coelum''

The views expressed in this email are personal and may not necessarily reflect those of Derby City Council, unless explicitly stated otherwise

This email, and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. However, we cannot accept liability for viruses that may be in this e-mail. We recommend that you check all e-mails with an appropriate virus scanner.

www.mimesweeper.com