Re: Who's Hills?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:26:04 -0000

Jane Williams wrote:

> How about the Alps as a model? Never been there myself (plans for
the summer will change this), but descriptions look good.<

I expect you will find exact correspondences hard and possibly unrewarding. Gloranthan geography is not terrestial geography after all. As well as hills with sheep and Transhumance for example you need to look for rain-shadow affects, bearing in mind the proximity of the chapparal of Prax, mixed conifer and deciduous trees, cold winters and warm summers. It might be better to take influences from a variety of places.

That said I find the following site is good for the diversity of ecoregions:

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial_pa.html

(click on the top to change the zone - this line is Paleartic, Neartic is also good for influences)

For Europe as well as the Alps conifer and mixed forests the Dinaric Mountains mixed forests and the Carpathian montane conifer forests look interesting.

In America I am tempted by the New England-Acadian forests but also, considering the proximity of the chapparal the Sierra Nevada forests.

Ian Cooper