Whose Hills are these? Will the real hill rambler please stand up (please stand up)?

From: Matthew <matthew_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:42:37 +0100

Michael Schwartz wrote:

"My only reservation with using Scotland as a model for the Quivin foothills is the number of lochs which line the bottoms of Scotland's valleys. Nothing in the current body of published material suggests that

similar lakes exist in Quiviniland. Rivers abound, but lakes seem few and
far between. The only mention of lakes which I recall comes from "Cities

of Dragon Pass" (KING OF SARTAR, pp. 182-4), north of where the Creek joins the River. Dendelle Lake is the northernmost of these, and the city of Hannand which lays at its end is somewhere near Dwarf Run."

My comment refers to an earlier post from Ian Hammond-Cooper:

">what's wrong with the Scottish highlands?

Useful for inspiration in dramatic terms, particularly from the cultures that did and till do live there, but if people are looking for a geographical mapping the influence of the ocean on the climate of the Scottish Highlands is greater, IMHO, than on Sartar. Scotland gets cold, but does not get Dragon Pass Winters (TM). Not to say it is not a worthwhile inspiration source though."

I think Ian's reference to the 'influence of the ocean' speaks to the issue of the lochs. I'm no geologist but it seems to me that all that water, in the air above, has affected the land. I expect that's what Ian means.

Now, we look at Sartar - a land not near an ocean. Maybe just removing the lochs (or large bodies of water) to balance the lack of neighbouring ocean would suffice?

Point of view supplied, unasked, maybe unwanted, gratis and with goodwill.

Chew