Re: Whose Hills are these? Will the real hill rambler please stand up (please stand up)?

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:41:49 -0000

> I think Ian's reference to the 'influence of the ocean' speaks to
the
> issue of the lochs. I'm no geologist but it seems to me that all
that
> water, in the air above, has affected the land. I expect that's
what Ian
> means.
>
> Now, we look at Sartar - a land not near an ocean. Maybe just
removing
> the lochs (or large bodies of water) to balance the lack of
neighbouring
> ocean would suffice?

So far as I can see, Sartar might not have an ocean nor plentiful Lochs, but it is positively jumping with Storm Gods! Now, maybe they all just blow over with little clouds and rain only on alternate Tuesdays, but I doubt it. Sartar is going to be WET. Maybe not many lakes, but that might be because of lack of glaciation in the past (did Valind and his kin ever reach Sartar?). Therefore, all the wind and rain has smoothed out the hills of Sartar just like the Ice Ages did Scotland, but Sartar lacks the ice-gouged glens to form lochs. And there you have a Gloranthan analogue of Scotland.

Any attempt to visualise Glorantha without putting magic and associated effects ABOVE 'natural' ecological factors seems to me to be as much of a waste of time as the old idea of explaining Glorantha away as some sort of alien scientific/genetic experiment contained within a dome (the Sky Dome). Or was that just us ? :-)

Wulf