Humakti Farmers

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:18:32 +1000

Benedict:

>I don't think
> > there are Humakti farmers.

Jeff:

> Other than those cabbage growing wierdos in Speed Bump Stead.

I like to play some humakti as ordinary steadfolk, who, after a close encounter with death or some traumatic experience, are increasingly beset by visions and nightmares sent by the Death God. Daily life becomes increasingly "stale, flat, and unprofitable" and sleepless nights are broken by increasingly terrifying visions. Those afflicted become increasingly useless about the stead (the Hamlet syndrome), and as the calling progresses, the sufferer will either take his or her own life, go mad, or find solace in surrender to the Death God and his cult. During this period of calling, and during their long initial training in the cult, they will continue to live their daily life as best they can - as farmers, herders etc. - even though they no longer really belong there.

This is the Call of Death as post-traumatic stress and classical religious conversion. I find it a useful adjunct to the "professional weaponthane who joins up at 16" model. And it does provide for (fitful and disturbed) humakti farmers.

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Let your sorrow end! It is better for us all To avenge our friends, not mourn them forever. Each of us will come to the end of this life On earth; he who can earn it should fight For the glory of his name; fame after death Is the noblest of goals. Arise, guardian Of this kingdom, let us go, as quickly as we can.