Humakti numbers

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 21:12:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Peter Larsen wrote:

> Theoretically, such temples could become regiments (if big
> enough) by not renewing contracts but still be able to deny being a
> military threat to the Lunars. Assuming, as always, that there are
> enough free Humakti to make a significant unit.
>
> Peter Larsen

I've been wondering about this myself recently, the amount of humakti in Sartar, that is.

Pre invasion Sartar had about 200 000 people. Humakt is marginal cult, but one of the strongest of those. Parhaps 1% of the fighting people would follow Humakt. About 1/4 of the population serves in the fyrd when all are called (feel free to challenge my numbers).

That would mean there would be about 500 humakti in Sartar (say 1600 ST), and only 2 in an average 800 person clan.

Doesn't seem like much. Then again some clans have a strong humakti tradition (parhaps even 20 to 50 humakti), and many have none at all.

Before the coming of Sartar the Changer it is said that the Quivini were worshippers of the sword. So the above figure is propably too small for those days. Also, during Salinargs reign, the Household of Death propably inspired many people to join Humakt.

But... what do you think?

        -Adept