Re: Head Taking (was Baron's Friends)

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:15:59 -0000

Head-taking was a feature of Celtic society although apparently restricted to warriors, it would be a pity to exclude such a juicy bit of cultural nastiness from Heortling culture. There may also be a ritual aspect to this (as there may have been for the Celts) in which case we can guess that some relatively obscure cult has dominion and by following their strictures the head-hunter can avoid chaotic associations. Much as Ana Gor does for human sacrifice.

Of course there is always a risk that the same thing could be done for the wrong reasons or without the proper ritual context - then it could well be chaotic and the perpetrator might even have been tempted onto the path of Than.

I doubt if it would ever be a common practice even among clans that permit it. That's probably not the point, taking any heads ever would get you labelled as headhunters by all the other clans who consider it barbaric.

> Taking a lunar head is not advised, for health reasons.*

They are unlikely to consider it an amusing ethnic folkway.

--
Nic