Opinion obout child tale ... on humakt's path

From: vingo_france <vingo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:59:21 -0000

> Nice story, but some of the cultural stuff seemed wrong to me.
> An orlanthi father is the one to laugh, weep and rage against
> the inevidable.

I disagree. Why a man can't cry ?
I feel only warriors will not have to cry ! But others ?

> The mother will be more restrained in showing emotions.
> Ernaldan women are rational and measured. If the child has been
> claimed by death, then no amount of crying will help.

I disagree again.
Have you lost a parent/cheer people in your life ? I understand your reaction for a game, but not for real life. And you have to think and to act as in real life; I cries a lot when my best friend died. I admit, not so much for my great parents. Never for my parents 'cause alwaysalive and never for my children because I haven't yet.
But I believe I will cry and I believe too it's normal.

> The speaker in the story leaves out a lot of ceremony, but since
> the speaker is not a Humakti, he propably doesn't even know much
> about Severing and Resheating.

The speaker is a child: "daddy". How old he/she is? I believe him/her far from adulthood and all initiations ceremonies. He/She is only a teller of facts without any understandings and more with un-undestandings.

> As I said, nice.
> -Adept

I feel it good too.

My own criticisms:

Can't you keep french name as Alrick Larmes Noires (for Black Tears). Most english people feel poetic french words. ;) I enjoy it too. 8)

I believe you wish show through this tale; That a humakti family links did not break toughly with initiation ceremony but that it begins even more before. I believe you wish to show that you did not choose your god on the initiation day, but before. And even more for Humakt which has heavy consequences.
And I almost agree with that.

We could understand why the father cries. It is very difficult for him.
How can he fight death ?
It is a definitive thing, even gods can't fight ! He knows he will lose a son at religious initiation day. But after knowing that way, he considers to have already lost his son. That's why he cries.
I disagree an Orlanth allfather initiate can't cry !? "...then no amount of crying will help", but you can't struggle emotions so far. Sometimes feelings exceed reason.

The most important thing:
Don't forget that becoming humakti initiate signifies to become a stranger for your kin (Myth of Humakt the Champion). In the myth, everybody tries to convince Humakt to refuse this cut. As an Air tribe member, all you have is you kin/clan. It is a very strong feeling.
Cut your relations and you lose almost all. You become nobody. You will have to struggle to become accepted as Humakt as to do. (That's what happen at the end of the tale.)

I feel good the spiritual path of Alrick Black Tears, because almost close to Humakt's one.

The mother acts as an Ernaldi (healer).
She sets aside her dying son.
She helps him and tries to make the best she can do for the last part of life of her son.

Mother and father did not speak with their others children of that. Why ?
Is it so difficult to have one of his son who chose to become *a stranger* ?
I believe in part.

Again, I feel your tale is a good one.
Let's try another Greg.

Wilfried Hallier - Vingo