Re: Opinion obout child tale ... on humakt's path

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 02:00:11 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, vingo_france wrote:

> > > HeroWars/message/11861
>
> > Nice story, but some of the cultural stuff seemed wrong to me.
> > An orlanthi father is the one to laugh, weep and rage against
> > the inevidable.
>
> I disagree. Why a man can't cry ?
> I feel only warriors will not have to cry ! But others ?

I meant that the father _would_ be the one to cry, and not take it calmly. The mother would be more rational about it. At least, that's the cultural norm.

Orlanthi men do cry.

> > The mother will be more restrained in showing emotions.
> > Ernaldan women are rational and measured. If the child has been
> > claimed by death, then no amount of crying will help.
>
> I disagree again.
> Have you lost a parent/cheer people in your life ?

The orlanthi are not us. What I'm commenting on is treating everybody with the the modern western stereotypes. The man is reserved and silent, the woman cries. The orlanthi are not like that.

But I think you may actually have meant the same thing as I did,

        -Adept