Re: YGWV. Greg's Further Comments

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:15:40 -0700

YGWV. I hope you will excuse my occasional incursion into this, and especially bear with my "divine corrections."
The entire point of me writing down those conditions and attitudes in all of my Gloranthan material is to deliver to you my vision of the world. I present these as a starting point, not a set of laws. I think that Glorantha doe snot conform to these standards, except in the same way that "All Americans own cars," or "all Brits like their beer warm." Life is more complex because individuals interact and none of us conform to everything. The material I've presented about the Humakti such as their outcast way of life and severance from clan and humanity, their obsession with Death, their penchant for murder and abrupt actions caused by commands form their god, Death; and the aversion of women and children upon meeting them on the street are given to you for two reasons: 1. to be plot tools.
If your campaign has them as friendly Irish cops, happily married with their own cozy stead then what happens when a cult brother comes to town who is the rigid psychopath I have presented. What if your sister becomes one?
The drama that I love to see and feel in Glorantha comes from the intense conflict of what is and what ought to be. Living up to expectations of cult behavior, for instance, is meant to be difficult and limiting in certain ways. These are not normal human ideals, and the intensity of the plot comes from your hero trying to live up to these expectations while living a life that has the everyday temptations and complications of life: the cow is sick, some girls were kidnapped, your baby has colic or some neighbors are poaching your hunting lands.
Then add the imperative of the Hero Wars, where things are going to happen no matter what your characters do. And finally, the epic scenarios that will allow your character to be in and, perhaps decide the results of critical events. The long-term implications of actions are going to come to fruition a couple of books down the line in many cases. But even the death of Orlanth, a new planet rising into the sky and Dragonrise will end, and your heroes have to go home someplace.

2. As guidelines for upcoming material
Most of the scenario characters to appear in future supplements are going to follow the conventions that we've set out in the published works. Humakti are going to be grim and somber black-clad swordsmen, and most everyone will avoid being near to Death and cross the street to avoid it. I expect people to do as they please, and think HeroQuest is going to make that apparent and expected.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>