Re: Greg's Comments

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:56:39 -0700

To all,

A couple of clarifications.

YGMV. At 05:16 PM 6/20/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>I guess I'm confused about the Humakti.
So are most of them.

>I really like Dougie's
>analogy to cops, imperfect as it may be. But Greg implies that they
>are far far beyond the pale relative to cops/military types. Any
>modern day analogies?

Ted Kazinsky? Serial killers. Sober Hell's Angels. People who like to kill things. People who kill things even though they don't like it. Visionary monks who have come back from the dead.

>And why do Heortlings put up with these
>psychopaths? There can't be too many of them, why not just kill
>them? Geez, the poor Heortlings already have to accept those
>obnoxious tricksters, they also have to tolerate psychopathic
>killers?
>Unless the Humakti are amazingly useful in battle, which
I do believe they are better at fighting in mortal combat. Everything that they do is devoted towards that.

>maybe I'm not "getting", I don't see their purpose.
To make a kick ass story line. To have an epic over the top characters.

Look at it this way: amidst every human society are born people who are, for one reason or another, over the top as far as personality goes. Crazed people, psychopaths, chronic liars and lovers of harm, stupid drunks to name some common aberrations.
Heortling society makes a place for those unusual people to live within their society. Rather than reforming or condemning, they accept it within the accepted boundaries of some social control.

>Greg also wrote: "They are often men who have been resurrected".
>Huh? Doesn't Humakht hate this?

Unclear statement: I meant that many Heortlings who are resurrected have what they call the "death sickness." It's a residual emotional and perceptive condition that causes people to join Humakt.

>There has to be some chance that
>your cattle raid will screw up the world.
You will.
The Ultimate Raid in the upcoming scenario series is onto the God Plane, against Doburden in his home turf.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>