Re: What's the current Received Wisdom on ducks?

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:04:07 -0000

> >* Are they theists in the Storm pantheon (Heortlings with
feathers)? If
> >so (focussing, I'd guess, on Humakt), that'd be an interesting
skewing
> >of Heortling society--elevating an auxiliary god (and a wacky,
obsessive
> >auxiliary god, at that) to the center of community life. Humakti
> >weddings? Humakti crop blessings? The mind boggles.
>
> Humakt is incapable of being the centre of community life.

For any community that's going to last that's true but for a community that knows it has had it anyway it might make an interesting story option. The ducks are one of the few groups persecuted enough to possibly have whole communities that might resign themselves to death and go down fighting rather than to carry on a miserable and futile attempt at clinging onto life.

Realistically I would have thought Engizi and Poverri were more central to most Durulz communities, its just that Humakti are a far more sizeable minority than among the Heortlings (and the ones most likely to go wandering onto dry land and be met by outsiders).

--
Nic