Re: Re: Life of the legionaire

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:46:46 +1000

> > I remember being struck by a source I read recently that stated the
> > mortality rate of an *active* legion was only one percent - that is
> one
> > death per hundred men per year. I will try and track it down
> again...
>
> I am not an expert in these matters (Martin, Roderick?), but this
> number seems to me far too low.

While distinctly unwilling to continue this without citing sources (from memory mine was a Bryn Mawr Classics review, part of some work Nick and I were doing on ancient population demographics- though I've yet to track it down again) lets put it into context.

Obviously there will be tremendous variation across centuries and locales, big battles and bloody campaigns, but I'm quite comfortable with the assertion that the Roman Army was probably one of the *safest* places to be in the ancient world. Remember that life expectancy *at birth* for your average Roman citizen was between twenty and thirty years - only marginally better than prehistoric populations (Potter & Mattingly - Life, Death, and Entertainment in the Roman Empire). Roman soldiers had access to good, reliable food supplies, and to the best medical care in the ancient world. They were pre-selected for their occupation and were for the most part fit young men. Their duties were mainly garrison and patrol work, and most lived in fortress barracks for their entire careers. They had a regular exercise regime, cleanliness was enforced, and for the most part they didn't live in the disease cesspools that were Rome and other major cities. (see: http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/abels/hh381/Romimparmy.htm). All in all, they were a lot better off than most.

The source I cited claimed 1% mortality rate; that is one legionnaire per hundred per year. Note that is *mortality* rates - the main source of losses to the army were desertion and disability, and these may have been much higher. 1% mortality means approximately 1 in 4 soldiers survived their 16+4 or 25 year service, or perhaps 1 in 2 or 3 when you take disability and desertion into account.

As with soldiers in every epoch, boredom, drudgery and homesick loneliness were often the real enemies. Not exactly the picture you get from sword and sandal epics, but Auden caught it nicely in 'Roman Wall Blues'

Over the heather the wet wind blows,
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

The rain comes pattering out of the sky, I'm a Wall soldier, I don't know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone, My girl's in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
I don't like his manners, I don't like his face.

Piso's a Christian, he worships a fish;
There'd be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I'm a veteran with only one eye
I shall do nothing but look at the sky.

If anyone can site some sources, for or against, I'd be delighted to hear.

A bit OT, but some nice Lunar fodder here.

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Ber er hver a� baki nema s�r br��ur eigi. One's back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother. - Nj�ls Saga.