RE: Why He Hates Lunars

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 01:58:19 +0100

Peter writes:

> Well, it's not actually the Glorantha: Intro that says that,
> but rather Nick's Arrolian work which is online and will
> appear in Tales #20.

Tales #20 is apparently imminent; as I have been saying this for well over a year, now, I'll shut up until it comes out. Suffice to say that there will be more Arrolian material in that issue than is currently available online.

Relevant URLs:

Arrolian Theology: http://www.etyries.com/sects/arrolian.htm

        "The world of Glorantha was fashioned from Chaos by the Creator. Everything in it was formed from fertile, ever-changing Chaos, and shaped by his stern, inflexible Law. The place where Chaos and Law come together is known as Nature. Within nature there are cycles: night and day, summer and winter, birth and death. Everything mirrors its opposite, and must pass from one side to the other of the created world.

        "Over time, mankind has fallen away from union and understanding with the Creator, who sent the Three Prophets to teach us how to find God through body, heart and soul. The first prophet was Malkion, who taught the Solace of the Body. The second was Hrestol, who taught the Joy of the Heart. The third was the Red Goddess [*] who teaches the Freedom of the Soul."

	[*] AKA the "Red Moon Prophetess" to Malkioni Syanorans,
	    cf. http://www.etyries.com/sects/syanmoon.htm

A Diplomatic Note: http://www.etyries.com/moonie/lunarway.htm

Our generic Lunar Way writeup also contains a Diplomatic Note, written for the Lunar characters in "How the West was One":

        "Please remember that you are present at this Western Ecclesiastical Council in a diplomatic capacity. While the truths of the Lunar Way are unquestionably higher than those contained in the old-fashioned, outdated and limited doctrines of Malkionism, it would not be correct protocol for you to give insult to your hosts. As they believe in only one God, it may be prudent to stress the originally mortal nature of all the Lunar demigods. (In the Western tongue, demigods like the Seven Mothers are known as 'Saints'; the Red Goddess herself would correspond to a Western 'Prophet').

        "It is said of the Goddess that 'She is the Mirror, and She is the Mask'. Thus, her truths should be presented to unbelievers in a manner they will understand. The superficial form of the Lunar Message can vary; the underlying truth remains the same. This is why our religion has been successful in converting peoples from all four corners of the world."

Cheers, Nick