Re: Legacy of Pavis: A Review

From: stefan.drawert_at_...
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:59:18 +0200

Freitag, 11:39:18, Gian wrote about Legacy & Masks of Pavis:

> I was struck by them (positively).

[snipped many other good arguments for the books]

I wasn't so excited about them for several reasons:

first, I didn't like the layout!
I know, tastes may differ but I found it very confusing and hard to look up anything again.

second, I found it a bit too much in the RQ-style for my demands.

I KNOW that Ian Thompson explicitly states that the presented material was mostly done pre-HW, so it's not his fault at all! but for me, this limits the usability of the scenario[s].

especially some of the HW-related rule-bits like the 'Getting into the Rubble table' on page no. 5 in Masks are not quite reflecting how I thought HW was supposed to work. but I could be wrong here...

again, these points are hardly Ian's fault, he has done a great job compiling all this material!

> The prize is not too high, considered the sheer number of pages (more
> than 100 each book), illos, stats and small font used to better fill
> any single page with Gloranthan Lore.

the considerably low price is one of the best arguments for the whole Pavis-series from Tradetalk, 'one can't get more bang for his bucks' :)

> Buy it, read it, use it!

I agree! I do not regret buying them all, with some quibbles still left.

that said, I hope this stirs up some other opinions as well, no matter on what book or what review or whatever.

--
take care,

 Stefan
 Samstag, 12:35:16