Re: Re: Orlanth Merely Holding His Breath. Vinga Likewise.

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:22:56 +0100

John Hughes wrote:

> There has been some discussion and alternative views presented about who > loses what when Orlanth draws breath

> I'm looking at my pc Vingan and trying to solve it from the perspective of > her beliefs and the source of her personal power

> Vinga's not on the list, which works for me. Vinga is generally accepted as > daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda, or as an expression of Orlanth. ...

I likewise have a Vingan, and likewise consider her to be affected because of her relationship to O & E (indeed, she uniquely has a relationship to BOTH).

That said, a mythic justification could be made for Vingans retaining magic: the Windstop is The Great Darkness. Orlanth and Ernalda are gone, it is terribly cold, and chaos stalks the land (in red cloaks, this time). Who defends the the survivors? Elmal and Vinga.

This is Vinga's element: when there is nobody else left, when Orlanth is away, who defends the carls? Vinga steps forward. She might be second best, but now she leads. With only a gaggle of scared carls, a short length of rope and a leaky bucket, she devises a cunning plan to save the clan...

I'm looking forward to playing the Windstop. I've decided that it will precipitate a major change in Karlina's relationship with the gods in general, and set her on the path to herodom (or doom, depending how things work out).