Re: Orlanth Merely Holding His Breath. Vinga Likewise.

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:36:30 -0000

Inevitably. How could it not? :-)

> I'm looking at my pc Vingan and trying to solve it from the
perspective of
> her beliefs and the source of her personal power as well as from the
> somewhat enigmatic "Deities with Magic" list on page 43 of
ODBAGAQFABTCDTSL
> (aka OID). What is this list exactly supposed to be, a comprehensive
list of
> the cults not affected by Windstop?

I would argue that a comprehensive list would be impossible to compile, and therefore that the list cannot be intended to be comprehensive. That's why I would use the "cults and subcults of Orlanth and Ernalda" quote as the deciding factor.

> This is important and basic enough for
> us to ask clarification from Issaries.

Indeed; I'm a bit surprised it isn't in the book, given that its an obvious area of ambiguity. Whereas its apparent that Humakt, say, isn't going to be affected, whether he's on a list or not.

> Vinga's not on the list, which works for me. Vinga is generally
accepted as
> daughter of Orlanth and Ernalda, or as an expression of Orlanth.

I would argue that this isn't the case at all. I mean, yes, she's a daughter alright, but the quote doesn't say "Orlanth and Ernalda and all their descendants" so I think that's beside the point. Is she an 'expression of Orlanth'? That's harder to answer, and one could legitimately interpret it either way from the write-up in Storm Tribe. She is (ST p.170) "a goddess in her own right" (and, ergo, unaffected) but also "functions as an aspect of Great Orlanth" (and therefore may well be affected, depending on the meaning of 'as' :-) ).

> Of course the list of deities and this entire discussion is very
> non-Heortling, as it builds on assumptions and connections
Heortlings may
> not make. But for game purposes, necessary.

Indeed. Of course, for game purposes, one also needs to consider the question 'what will be most enjoyable for my group?' This may well depend on the mixture of cults within the PC group, as well as on the players involved. For instance, if a Vingan is the only PC in the party who would lose their magic, I'd be very tempted not to 'penalise' that one player by making their character weaker than everyone else's until the Windstop is resolved. Conversely, if they were the only character who would be unaffected, I'd probably go the other way. In reality, things would doubtless be more complicated...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic