RE: Re: Uroxi sense Chaos-tainted/marked ?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:05:40 -0400

Simon to Peter Larsen :

>>I'll agree here, but assuming the Char-Un do rape on a
>>regular basis, there has to be some reason why they are not all
>Broos
>>by now.

>Probably they don't all rape regularly. They don't flinch from it when
>they get the chance, but I doubt it's a day-in, day-out chore for
>the average Char-Un warrior.

I'd agree with this.

>I realy don't think social acceptance by other Char-Un has much to do with
it.

This I disagree with. Here's a hypothetical example. Say I'm a member of a society that abhores killing no matter what the situation. Here I go and kill someone by accident. This act has absolutely no cultural/social sanction and my society doesn't even have a way for me to cleanse myself or ask forgiveness. I automatically lose all my societal benefits and due to my beliefs I can't even forgive myself. I would have to leave my community and I may never be able to forgive myself. I might endA Char-Un can rape but only within the acceptable patameters set out either emphatically or unspoken by his culture. This helps to protect him from the act and gives him a cultural context for it which my accidental killer didn't have.

Killing people isn't a day-in, day-out chore for most warriors either but it's still an act that has to be socially sanctioned somehow for it to be acceptable. Even Orlanth had to pay the price for his killings. Only an Uroxi or a Humakti can go about killing people without compunction and they're very special cases.

Oliver